Pencil thin, push-broom, or handlebar? It’s Movember, gentlemen, and time to not only think about what style of mustache suits you, but also to do a quick check-in on your health. It’s not just for men – women can also help raise awareness about men’s health.
Movember: An idea that started over a beer between two friends – the original “Mo Bros” – in 2003 sparked a national movement to increase awareness about men’s health and prostate cancer. The two were discussing the “loss” of the mustache in fashion trends and decided to challenge 30 of their friends to “Grow a Mo” and make it a campaign for prostate cancer. The cause – To Stop Men Dying Too Young – has engaged over 5 million Mo Bros and “Mo Sistas” around the world.
According to the Movember Foundation website:
- Men experience worse longer-term health than women and die on average six years earlier.
- Prostate cancer rates will double in the next 15 years.
- Testicular cancer rates have already doubled in the last 50 years.
- Depression takes a hefty toll on men – 75% of all suicides are men.
So what can you do to get involved?
- Well you can “Grow your Mo” if that inspires you to talk to others about Movember. Social media is a great way to let your friends and family know what you are doing and why.
- You can make it official, sign up, and help raise funds for the cause.
- Consider a workplace challenge to add a little friendly competition at the office.
- No mustache for you? How about signing up for the Move Challenge? Make a commitment to get physically active during Movember. Get inspired by trying something new. Find a buddy or a team and compete in an event. Exercise is a great way to keep your body and your mind healthy
- Find a Movember event near you and join in the fun while supporting the cause.
- If you’re really inspired you can create your own event. Host a dance party, karaoke challenge, or a poker tournament – what’s important is that you have a good time while sharing the important message about men’s health.
We all recognize the importance of helping the men in our lives stay healthy and live longer, happier lives. So, go ahead, grow your “mo” and join the cause!
6 ways, grow a mo, men's health, movember, mustache